Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Anarchal Effervescence

Have you ever felt like becoming an Anarchist
but just didn't have the gumption?
Didn't really know what it was all about?

Totalitarian Themed reads.

Read in succession:

V for Vendetta, Alan Moore
Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
The Giver, Lois Lowry
Anthem, Ayn Rand
1984, George Orwell
Brave New World, Aldous Huckley

and any and all Kurt Vonnegut, but mainly
Welcome to the Monkeyhouse
specifically shorts: Euphio Question, Barnhouse Effect

The only book I have yet to read is Huxley's. Just finished 451 last night, V for Vendetta the night before. I will write separate posts for each of those, as they are most deserving. Bradbury blows my mind--the book always has--and this was my first time with Moore, but holy fucking shit (pardon my language) but jesus christ is it the most fantastic word and picture orgy I've ever experienced.

My dad took me out to dinner last Wednesday night and he laughed at me, then said,

"Chess. You're anarchal."

Silence on my part.

"You're beliefs and ideals are centered around anarchy."

Silence on my part.

"Figures you're my daughter." "I'm proud of you."


Then he told me that though he supports my beliefs, I will need a real job to sustain myself.
That's why I'm writing a comic.

Okay. READ V FOR VENDETTA and FAHRENHEIT 451 and anything else you fiction mongers enjoy. Blast off! Next on the list is A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius.





The book is better, far better--the ideals portrayed at the ending are completely lacking in the movie...but for those of you who enjoy the stimulation by millions of half-second clips all jumbled in front of you... the movie is still riveting. Say riveting in an accent for deserved
emphasis.

No comments: